Saturday, May 6, 2017

Youtube Streaming Applications for Teachers


YouTube is new to me. I’ve used it as a guest several times, but primarily for music videos! So, I had much to learn about using this Web 2.0 Tool for instructional purposes. But if video clip length is kept reasonable for the students’ attention span, having resources and channels ready will assist with authentic learning opportunity as they arise in classrooms.
I’m exploring many beneficial functions that come with having a YouTube account. Here is an educational use rubric that I found while exploring.


YouTube LIVE is a function of the YouTube platform that allows channel hosts to live-stream their videos either publicly or privately. This feature was likely created to compete with the live-streaming service Twitch (see also: YouTube Gaming). Although this function can at first be difficult to implement if you do not have experience with broadcasting software, there are endless instructional videos available for review on the primary YouTube platform. From my experience, most people can learn all the skills they need to successfully host streams within less than 48hrs. YouTube reliability depends heavily on your regional internet access and speed, however, the primary site itself is always available. As far as I have experienced in the past, the only external links YouTube (YT) generates are for site monetization. However, users themselves are free to link to any external site they wish (as long as it follows YT content guidelines). In 2013, YouTube received a “technical Emmy” from the National Academy of Arts & Sciences for its video recommendation algorithms; however, the corporation has yet to receive any educational awards that I’m aware of.


As you can see in the video below, I used this format to host a trial stream on academic discussion covering topics like YouTube, Open Broadcaster Software OBS), and Elian for ESL learners & speakers. You can watch other examples of my work on my channel here.

No comments:

Post a Comment